Wednesday, August 31, 2011

They say there is a first time for everything...

Well today was by far very interesting. This morning was learning the computers and the set up of how everything works yada yada. In the afternoon we had a patient, I can now say I have seen my first transgendered patient, yes you heard right, I will call her a she, but I was not entirely sure... I was told ahead of time that I should be aware and ready and for odd remarks or conversation, great, I was already nervous! So she is wheel chair bound and we brought her back, I didn't know quite how to ask if she preferred being called miss or mister, but she had a female name, so I assumed she thought of herself as female, (she was also wearing massive heels, a mini skirt and a tank top, keep in mind this is an older woman) but then my instructors at times called her him, yeah, just a little bit awkward. All in all I was able to complete her appointment (with some awesome help) and she turned out to be very nice and cooperative. (might I add when I lead her back up front she put her power chair on full speed, and almost ran me over, that chair got some serious air!) Considering it all I things went great and I was able to treat her as any other patient. I am sure glad tomorrow is my day off because I am one tired girl!

3 comments:

  1. You cracked me up when you said "That chair got some serious air"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Madi! I can't even imagine how that would have been. It sounds like you handled it well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha oh my word. I'm sure you handled it like a champ madi. I hope i can keep my cool like you when i see someone that is... "interesting and different."

    ReplyDelete